Wednesday, May 9, 2007

A Royal Flush


Her Majesty the Queen of England paid a visit to Goddard Space Flight Center today. I don't have any pithy insights. We waited outside near Building 3 for about an hour and then she and her entourage passed by on her way from talking to the Space Station to a presentation in Building 8. She was within lunging distance, but not grabbing distance.

She paused and chatted with some women close to me. Her demeanor -- or should I say deQUEENer -- was aloof, yet kind. People around me (and myself) offered comments like, "Good morning!" or, "Welcome!" to tempt a response, but she did not make much direct eye contact or physical contact with anyone specific. A queen isn't meant to connect too closely with the commoners. She apparently did have more personal contact during other parts of the visit.

We also had a short glimpse of her at the Goddard Visitor's Center, where she "planted a tree." Which means, she and NASA Administrator Michael Griffin each turned over about a teaspoon full of soil. A good thing too, since they will move the tree from its photogenic ceremonial position to someplace else where it won't die so quickly. Gardening was never so easy for the Queen.

Prince Phillip seemed more chatty. As I mentioned before, I think the Goddard visit was probably his desire. He stopped and had more direct conversations with the crowd in front of me, and was definitely intrigued by the astronauts. Good for him, a Prince should have some hobbies too.

I'm not a big one for pomp and circumstance, but it was still a special moment for the place that I work. None of my photos turned out very well, but thankfully I was with a group that got some nice shots. Aside from the enjoyment of the moment, the most substantial thing I came away with was a hefty sunburn on my face.

4 comments:

thinking...thinking...thinking said...

I have heard that she responds to, "Hey Mister? Mister! Mister...."

Craig Markwardt said...

Ouch. We did receive instructions on etiquette, but I don't think that one was on the list.

Zootenany Hoodlum said...

Nice picture. I feel a bit jealous, being Canadian and all, that you're smoozing with the queen while I am.... not.

BTW I tried to call you back but you STILL DON'T HAVE AN ANSWERING MACHINE ffs! :-) Good news? Blogs are good forums too!

Craig Markwardt said...

After our tea together, the Queen and I went for a delightful romp through the country-side by carriage. I heartily recommend it on your next visit with her.

BTW1: My use of "Her Majesty the Queen of England" was not about pomp and circumstance, but rather pomp and flipance.

BTW2: Funny every time I've tried to call you I got the answering machine, and I was no more satisfied. I'd say the circle is complete :-)