Tuesday, November 6, 2007

World's Highest Product Placement

Continuing on the theme of the Everest show, I started looking a little more closely at the climbers' jackets, and I started seeing things. Well actually, I started seeing corporate logos. In particular, the best climber, Mogens Jensen, has a bunch of "gsk" logos stuck to his jacket and his hat. Could that be the drug conglomerate Glaxo-Smith-Kline? Yep.

And if I wasn't mistaken I also saw logos for Motorola and (maybe?) ask.com.

Now I seriously doubt that Glaxo-Smith-Kline manufactures mountaineering parkas or hats, nor does Motorola.

Of course not. These climbers are advertising for corporate sponsors. What I don't know is whether they found their own personal sponsor, or if the producers provided a certain number of "product placement" emblems throughout the show. On the one hand, it's clear that "gsk" has been Mogens Jensen's personal patron for at least two years (he's an asthmatic, and I'm sure they have asthma medicines for sale). On the other hand, product placements are sure money-makers for reality shows. Other shows like Top Chef have so many product placments that it's hard to draw the line between entertainment and advertisement anymore.

I predicted that by the third season, we would be seeing aspiring young actors auditioning for the show. Now I wonder if we will instead be watching a climber drinking his Evian springwater while warming his feet on a Coleman Stove and watching CNN on his Motorola mini-TV...

5 comments:

Tod Strohmayer said...

Dude, nice Everest posts. In your earlier one, I think it's Russel Brice (you have David)? I kept
noticing that gsk thing on Jensen's
hat and parka, but didn't connect it
to the drug company. He's the million dollar question, what if someone on the team died? How would
they handle that? Under those
conditions, it could happen.

Craig Markwardt said...

Maybe Glaxo also sells embalming fluid...

Tod Strohmayer said...

Don't you mean anti-freeze??

Maggie said...

I'm watching the Everest show now, actually! :-)

I guess climbing Everest is so expensive that one needs corporate sponsors...

Mr Squid said...

I still think that we should be auctioning off the names of gamma-ray bursts...