Friday, January 25, 2008

Walk Like an Alexandrian


I arrived in Egypt on Sunday, and it's already Friday! I'm participating in a workshop to train young African and Middle Eastern students in the techniques of X-ray and gamma-ray astronomy. The workshop is being held at the New Library of Alexandria, which of course has the library and also a planetarium and museum. Alexandria is located at the Mediterranean coast, and the library is right at the coast. The library is shown by night (with moonlight glinting from the reflecting pool.

So far I haven't actually done much sight-seeing since we are focussed on helping the students. I have learned one small strip of Alexandria between the hotel and the Library very well, and nothing else!

The conference hotel describes itself as a "heritage hotel" in its brochure. As far as I can tell, this is a kind way of saying that it has lofty goals of being a high-class establishment, but is slowly falling apart. In my room, both a telephone and lamp are non-working.

We will be visiting the pyramids of Giza tomorrow for a day-long excursion. Hopefully I will find some nice souvenirs. However, I think the nicest souvenir would be to get a library card for the Library of Alexandria.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were in Egypt! I'm jealous! I hope you'll have time to see some of Egypt before you go!

Project Runway was good - it was a denim challenge. Let me know if you want spoilers. :-)

Craig Markwardt said...

@M, We have time for a few excursions, but sadly, I will have to return immediately after the workshop is over.

No spoilers are necessary. I'm sure there will be many re-runs :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you won't have time to see much! At least you go to see the Pyramids. :-)

And yes, there have been many reruns. :-)