Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Location Does Not Compute

I just got an iPod Touch about a month ago. iPhones and iPod Touches have a cool "locate-me" feature which allows you to press a button and find where you located on the map, anywhere in the country. The Ipod does this over Wi-Fi only by finding known wireless access points, based on a drive-by scan done by SkyHook Wireless.

A few days ago this feature started going haywire and putting me in Boulder, Colorado. No matter what I did, I ended up there.



Now I know why. My next door neighbor moved to Boulder a few months ago and must have brought his wireless access point along! Crap! This is a case where a very cool technology, the ability locate yourself anywhere in the country by interrogating the wireless environment, has gone wrong. The problem is that SkyHook has made a simplifying assumption that the environment does not change between the times that they do their surveys. In reality, people move and bring the wireless gear with them. I don't doubt that the iPod software sends all wireless access points it finds, so SkyHook can dynamically expand its database when new access points pop up, but that doesn't handle the case when an access point is physically moved. The result is a frustration for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not seeing how your neighbor moving to Boulder would put you there, since now you can't see his WAP. Did you mean he moved from Boulder? Then you would see his WAP, which the database thinks is in Boulder.

Also, that's mega-lame-o. How many WAPs can your iPhone see? 10? 20? And the software can't play "One of these things is not like the others"?

Craig Markwardt said...

Dude, I know the details don't work out so give me a break. But my next door neighbor did frickin' move to Boulder OK? The coincidence is too great to ignore. Anyway, I uploaded all of my local WAPs manually to SkyHook, and now I'm golden.