Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Tomatoes Made It This Season

This year the tomatoes worked out! My mom and dad came in May and helped pick out and plant them. (OK, let's be honest, my dad did all the planting.) There are two indeterminates planted against the front of my house (both Early Girl), and one determinate of unknown type planted a bit further out.


So far I've gotten about 30 tomatoes, and there are still a few on the vine at various stages of maturity. Almost all of them have turned out well. The determinate plant produced the largest crop, although I have to admit that the Early Girls were tastier and more tender.


The Early Girls are now close to 11 feet tall, definitely taller than I can reach! The cages are pieces of concrete reinforcement mesh from the local home center.

This year is much better than two years ago, when some kind of blight destroyed my entire tomato patch. I think I got a hand-ful of cherry tomatoes out of that effort. This year I even gave a few away!

4 comments:

Tod Strohmayer said...

Dude, looks like you were holding out on me!

Craig Markwardt said...

Totally. It's called first dibs.

SBFH said...

"although I have to admit the Early Girls were tastier and more tender"


.....

Craig Markwardt said...

Which is the correct come-back?

"...but not too early, or you get in trouble with the law...", or

"...unlike the Better Boys which were firmer and a bit bitter..."