Thursday, November 20, 2008

Under the Gunn

Last week I went to a presentation by Tim Gunn, well known as one of the hosts of Project Runway. I went with my friend Maggie and her friend April. It was held at the University of Maryland at the student union. Ostensibly, the purpose of the presentation was to help students transition their style from school to the workplace.

(my best photo, because they requested no-flash)


In reality, he spoke for a few minutes on that topic (his primary wisdom was, "be responsible for your look.") I was hoping for a bit of a slide show -- at least some kind of "do's" and "don't's" -- but he disabused us of that possibility early on, because he thought a slide show would be interpreted too literally by his viewers. To me that sounds like a bit of a cop-out.

One interesting thing I did learn is that Mr. Gunn has no formal training in fashion design, which is impressive because he has quite a good eye when advising his students.

Mr. Gunn is also extremely gracious, in person just as much as on his television shows. He's just an endearing guy. I have no doubt that, if there had been time, he would have loved to meet everybody in person and learn about their life story. Unfortunately the size of the crowd was huge, and the ballroom was packed to the gills! This turned out to be a problem at the end of the presentation, when Gunn wrapped up and moved for the door. The crowd literally mobbed him! Here's the scene:

(yes, that's him on the left, I only got the back half of his head...)


Eventually he waded through the crowd, and escaped through a service door. Whew! Hopefully he'll carry on his interesting career!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

I think you have a typo in the link to my blog?

Oh - and the first time I saw him (when he talked about fashion week), he actually did have a slide show! I'm not sure why he didn't this time, maybe the talk was last minute? I think he's actually pretty good about not giving out "don'ts" for fashion, though I can tell you he loaths crocs, leggings, and bubble skirts. :-) I think he feels if it's appropriate for you and where you are wearing it and it fits, then he's ok with it. Apparently sweats at the theater - that's a don't. ;-)

It was a fun talk - glad you were able to come! :-)

Craig Markwardt said...

Yep, fixed the typo.

Good thing I wasn't wearing sweats :-)